A Curly Girl’s Guide To Rocking Spring’s Barrette Trend
It’s no news that hair accessories are big this Spring. From pearl embellished bobby pins to blinged out hair barrettes every high-end and low-end designer has created their own variation. “Accessory stacking” instantly upgrades your look from basic to chic, but almost every editorial featuring the trend caters to straight and wavy haired girls. I knew coming up with a few cute styles for curly girls couldn’t be too hard. I called celebrity hairstylist Shaylin Jones to confirm that curly haired girls shouldn’t be intimated by these fashionable hair accessories. Together we came up with four simple, quick ways curly girls can incorporate bobby pins, clips, and barrettes.
Let’s hear it for the curly girls!!
Side Pinned Curls
- Fluff your curls to the desired shape.
- Part hair to the side that compliments your face the most.
- Smooth one side of your curls behind your ear and use bobby pins to discreetly secure.
- Spray a working hairspray onto fingers and smooth down any flyaways.
- Add decorative hair clips to the pinned side.
Half-Up Messy Knot
- Split your hair in half from ear to ear.
- Gather the top half of curls into a ponytail.
- Wrap your curls loosely around the base of the ponytail and use hair pins to secure. It’s ok if you have some curls falling from your “messy” knot.
- Add embellished barrettes to the base of your knot.
Smooth Front With Back Curls
- Part the front of your hair down the center or slightly off to one side.
- Gather hair as if pinning both sides behind the ears.
- Continue to gather the front sections until they meet at the back of the head.
- Use a snag-free elastic band to secure the hair you’ve collected together. (There should be hair above and beneath the gathered hair.)
- Add statement pins to one side of the pulled back front.
Snatched Low Pony
- Use your fingers to smooth hair back to the nape of your head. You can use a little oil, pomade, or working spray onto your fingers to help control the texture as you’re smoothing.
- Gather all your curls taut and use a bungee elastic band to secure a ponytail. (If you don’t have a bungee elastic, make one by attaching two bobby pins to either side of a regular elastic hair band).
- Anchor one side of the bungee band (or one bobby pin) into your hair then wrap the elastic around a few times and secure the other side (or second bobby pin) into the base of the ponytail.
- Smooth down unwanted flyaways.
- Add shine and hold with a working spray.
- Add blingy barrettes.