Get Glowing With a Vegan Collagen-Boosting Smoothie
For a long time, I thought collagen was one wellness trend I’d have to skip since I eat a plant-based diet, but now there are vegan collagen supplements that are formulated with nutrients to help your body boost its own collagen production. This is great news because collagen is super important for your health!
A lot of people focus on the hair, skin, and nail benefits, but collagen also supports joint health, strengthens bones, and may even boost muscle mass. This vegan collagen-boosting smoothie is chock full of ingredients that help your body create the collagen it needs to thrive.
¾ cup of mixed frozen berries (I use blackberries and blueberries)
1 cup of kale
1 ½ cup of cashew milk (you can supplement with almond)
½ of an avocado ½ of a banana
1 Tbsp of almond butter
1 tsp of chia seeds
1 scoop of vegan collagen powder
Vegan Collagen Boosting Ingredients
Your body makes collagen by combining amino acids from proteins. Vitamin C, zinc, and copper are also essential to collagen production. Here’s what each of the ingredients in my vegan collagen smoothie bring to the table:
- Berries – Berries are excellent sources of vitamin C—in fact, strawberries actually have more vitamin C than oranges! Raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries are also high in this important vitamin, so no matter which ones you choose, you’ll be getting a hefty dose to support collagen production.
- Kale – The chlorophyll from leafy greens like kale is another ingredient that helps support the body in making collagen.
- Cashew Milk – Cashews are a source of both zinc and copper, the two minerals that are most crucial when it comes to helping the body create its own collagen.
- Avocado – The vitamin E and healthy fat in avocado are great for your skin, and their omega-3 content also boosts collagen production.
- Banana – Bananas add sweetness without adding sugar, which is important because refined carbohydrates can lead to inflammation, and the body’s inflammatory process damages collagen.
- Almond Butter – Almonds contain copper, healthy fats, and the protein that the body breaks into amino acids to form the building blocks of collagen.
- Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are also a source of high-quality vegan protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc.
- Vegan Collagen Supplement Powder – For an extra collagen boost, I like to add a scoop of vegan collagen powder to my smoothie.