Adding a Face Mask to Your Skincare Routine
This week we are adding another new step to build your skincare routine—a weekly face mask. Like my facial steams, a mask is something I look forward to every week, and it’s a little way for me to treat myself during even the busiest times.
I love to apply my face mask after steaming my face, but regardless if you steam beforehand or not, you want to be sure you apply your mask to a clean, toned face.
Benefits of Face Masks
A face mask can help target specific skincare concerns. They push beneficial ingredients into your skin. Because face masks are of concentrated formulas, they tend to produce immediate results, leaving your skin feeling softer, more hydrated, less oily, and glowy after only a few minutes.
There’s a face mask for everyone (read on for recommendations!), and every skincare goal. But because they’re so powerful, it’s important to choose a mask that aligns with your needs to prevent irritation or breakouts. Benefits of face masks include:
- Improved hydration
- Smaller pores
- More even skin texture
- Absorbing oil and pollutants
- Improved elasticity
- Brighter skin
- Decreased appearance of fine lines
Face Masks for Each Skin Type
Wondering which face mask is best for your skin? These are some of my favorite face masks because they all live up to their promises and do what they say they will!
Herbivore Blue Tansy BHA & Enzyme Pore Refining Mask
Mask type: Gel
Best for: Oily skin
- White Willow Bark Extract – A natural source of salicylic acid
- Fruit Enzymes – Gently dissolve impurities to leave skin cleaner.
- Blue Tansy Oil – An ingredient that reduces redness and irritation
Why I love it: I love that this mask has a little bit of a tingle when you put it on. It calms and clarifies oily skin, and it also minimizes the appearance of pores.
True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask
Mask type: Sleep mask
Best for: Dry skin
- Plant-derived Hyaluronic Acid – Hydrates skin at a deeper level
- Mango Butter – Rich in the antioxidant vitamin A to speed up skin renewal
- Squalane – A hydrator and antioxidant rolled into one!
- Aloe Vera – One of Mother Nature’s most soothing ingredients
Why I love it: This mask works overnight to boost your skin’s hydration. If you live in a cold climate and struggle with dry skin in the winter, it’s a must-have for sure!
Indie Lee Clearing Mask
Mask type: Exfoliating mask; clay mask
Best for: Acne-prone skin
- Salicylic and Glycolic Acids – Double the exfoliation when you need it most!
- Bentonite Clay and Colloidal Sulfur – These ingredients absorb all the gunk from your pores. Sulfur is also known to soothe irritated skin.
- Zinc Oxide, Chamomile and Red Seaweed – Three ingredients that leave your skin calmer.
Why I love it: This mask has it all for breakout-prone skin. Clay and sulfur draw out impurities, chamomile and red seaweed calm inflammation, and salicylic and glycolic acids dissolve pore-clogging impurities.
Tata Harper Superkind Fragrance-Free Radiance Mask
Mask type: Creamy gel
Best for: Sensitive skin
- Self-Neutralizing AHA Blend – Exfoliates dull patches and encourages cell turnover for healthier skin
- Sugar Prebiotic– Helps restore balance and repairs the skin barrier
- Sugar Carbohydrate Complex – Supports ceramides and proteins, which are critical to the skin barrier
Why I love it: As you know, when you have sensitive skin, restoring your skin barrier is crucial for healing. This mask has added probiotics to help rebuild your skin’s microbiome, reducing redness and irritation.
Biossance Squalane + Glycolic Renewal Mask
Mask type: Exfoliating
Best for: Normal skin
- Glycolic, lactic, malic and tartaric acids – Chemical exfoliants to brighten dull skin
- Fine mineral spheres – Gently polish for smoother, softer skin
- Squalane and hyaluronic acid – For hydration that goes beyond the surface
Why I love it: This peel, exfoliator, and glycolic mask will have your skin glowing in a matter of minutes! It minimizes fine lines and pores, and it exfoliates dry patches.
Youth to the People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask with Vitamin C
Mask type: Sleep mask
Best for: Combination skin
- Vitamin C (THD Ascorbate) – A clinically-proven form of antioxidant vitamin C that is more stable and potent
- Squalane and Hyaluronic Acid – Because these hydrators both mimic your skin’s natural oils, they’re perfect for skin with both dry and oily areas.
- Proprietary Superberry Blend – Hello, antioxidants!
Why I love it: This mask hydrates, plumps, and brightens—and it’s also amazing for those pesky dark undereye circles!
Bonus Face Masks I Love to Have on Hand:
For exfoliation & glow:
KORA Organics Mini Turmeric BHA Brightening Treatment Mask
This mask brings life to dull skin, decongests pores, and smoothes skin texture. This mask is gentle enough to use more than once a week but powerful enough that you will instantly see and feel smooth resurfaced skin. A great face mask to keep in your shower. PS. There is also a new mini version for only $16, you can find here.
For instant lifting and firming:
SUPEREGG Calm Movements Eye Cheek Masks
The formula and design of these patches are so innovative! They’re meant to mimic the properties of eggs—but they’re entirely vegan. I don’t know about your grandmother, but my grammie used to spend her Sunday night in a mask made from beaten egg whites. Now you can get the egg white face mask experience without the ick factor.
Go-to clay mask:
Beautycounter Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask
This is my go-to charcoal mask. I like to use it when my skin is looking and feeling a bit congested. You know those small bumpy breakouts you get on your forehead? This mask is perfect for those.
Sheet mask experience without the waste:
Jenny Patinkin Pure Luxury Organic Reusable Sheet Mask With Matching Spa Headband
Sheet masks are so convenient but also super wasteful. I prefer this eco-friendly version, and you can use it with your favorite products! I have to admit, though, that I do love to indulge in a traditional paper sheet mask on a plane ride to protect my skin from mega-dry airplane air. When I’m up in the air, I use these hydrating bamboo masks.