4 Anti-Aging Yoga Moves For Your Face
We all know that yoga does the body (and mind) good, but what about your face? Facial yoga is trending lately as a cost-effective way to keep wrinkles at bay. If you’re looking for a simple way to tone the face without taking a trip to the med spa, read on for some facial yoga moves to incorporate into your nightly face ritual.
Facial Yoga to Reduce Forehead Lines
Forehead lines are no fun and they have a way of sneaking up on you with no warning. Before you take drastic measures, give this non-invasive solution a try.
- Start by opening your eyes wide, like you’ve just been surprised, and hold for five long breaths.
- Use your knuckles to gently massage out the forehead, giving the muscles an opportunity to loosen up.
- To take things a step further, invest in an affordable gua sha tool to help speed up the process. This stone is ideal for self-scraping and aids in promoting circulation, as well as helping to relieve muscle tension.
Facial Yoga to Plump Up The Jowls
One of the main places we tend to lose elasticity is in the jowls. A great way to gain some of it back is with the following facial yoga exercise.
- Begin by creating an “O” shape with your mouth, but with your teeth covered.
- As you continue to keep the teeth concealed, smile slowly then return to the letter “O.”
- Repeat this five times with the teeth hidden.
- With the last smile, take your index finger and place it below your bottom lip, right in the center. Retain tension in the cheeks as you start to open and close your mouth—think fish face.
- As you work through this last part of the drill, lift your chin and gaze up. You’ll start to feel the muscles in both the jaw and cheek area start to tighten up.
- Repeat this five times, then relax.
Facial Yoga to Minimize Crow’s Feet
Although there’s a myth that we shouldn’t touch the skin around our eyes, that’s not always true. Even though the skin is sensitive, there are still ways to work with it without pulling the tissues and exacerbating any lines and wrinkles.
- Start by pressing your middle fingers on the space between the brows and the outside edge of the eyes.
- Create a “V” shape with the fingers as you maintain relaxation with the forehead.
- As you look up, squint the eyes slightly. Don’t worry if you feel the eyelids start to twitch; that just means you’re doing it right.
- Hold for a count of five, then rest.
- Repeat this 10 times to tone those tiny muscles around the eyes.
Facial Yoga to Firm the Jawline
If you’re looking to achieve a chiseled jawline without paying the steep cost of injectables, this is a simple firming facial yoga trick to try.
- Start by tilting your chin skyward, smile as wide as you can, then open and close the jaw to work those neck muscles.
- Take it slow and repeat the process 10 times.
- Lift your chin and begin to turn the head to one side and once again open and close your jaw.
- Do this 10 times on each side and take a break.
- Bring your chin back to neutral and lift.
- From here, connect the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth as you swallow; repeat three times.
The same way exercising the muscles in your body strengthens and tightens them, facial yoga will strengthen and tighten your facial muscles. With regular practice, you’ll start to notice a difference in your face—no Botox required!