Jojoba Oil for Skin: Our New Favorite Multi-Tasker
When you can find a product that does the same job as pricy serums for a tenth of the price, it’s cause for celebration, which is why we’re beyond excited about the jojoba oil for skincare trend. We’ve known about the benefits of using jojoba oil for hair, but who knew you could slather the stuff on your skin too?!
Skincare Benefits of Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil comes from a shrub with the same name. Native to the American Southwest, the O’odham tribe has used jojoba oil to treat sores and wounds for hundreds of years. These wound healing properties make jojoba oil an excellent choice for a number of different skincare woes, from acne to dry skin. Here are some of the benefits of using jojoba oil for skincare:
- Like any oil, jojoba is moisturizing. As a humectant, it reinforces your skin’s natural protective barrier to lock in moisture.
- But wait, there’s more! Unlike many other oils, jojoba oil moisturizes without clogging your pores. Its composition is so similar to natural sebum that it’s noncomedogenic, making it the perfect moisturizer for anyone with oily skin or acne.
- Speaking of acne, jojoba oil is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, making it a one-two punch for breakout-prone skin.
- Jojoba oil also has benefits for dry skin and it contains natural vitamin E, an antioxidant that fights signs of aging. This means you can use jojoba oil to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and promote collagen production.
- With its healing, soothing properties, jojoba oil is also a natural choice for eczema, acne scars, psoriasis, and sunburned skin. (Of course, you should consult with your dermatologist first!)
In other words, jojoba oil is one of those miracle ingredients that is versatile enough to benefit just about every skin type.
How to Use Jojoba Oil in Your Skincare Routine
You can buy all kinds of skincare products that are formulated with jojoba oil (we share some of our faves below!), but you can also enjoy its benefits by grabbing an $8 bottle and patting a few drops onto your face morning and night. Jojoba oil is great for pairing with gua sha, you can mix it with clay for a clinically-proven acne fighting mask, and you can even use it as an oil cleanser to remove your makeup at the end of the day.
Jojoba oil works well as a carrier oil, too. Use it as a base to make your own customized facial serums; start with 1 ounce of jojoba oil and add 5–6 drops of essential oil. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Combine the oils in a small amber glass dropper bottle. Use your DIY jojoba oil serum morning and night after applying toner, or use it after a facial steam so your skin soaks up all of its benefits even better. Place a few drops on your fingertips and gently pat it into your facial skin and neck until it’s absorbed.